May 30, 2024

Police hunt for white male in stabbing near Bangor bar

A 27-year-old Bangor man was stabbed in the back after he and a group of friends left a downtown bar early Saturday, and the suspect is still at large, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Kenison said Monday.

The wounds were not life-threatening, but the victim was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center for treatment after the 1:16 a.m. incident. The group had been drinking at a bar near Franklin Street and left after someone was “eyeballing them,” Kenison said.

While walking through the Hamlin mall, a park located between Franklin and Central streets, the group reportedly was jumped by the suspect, who is described as a white man of average weight and height with blond, spiky hair. The assailant was wearing a red hooded sweat shirt at the time.

Anyone who has information about the incident is asked to call the Bangor Police Department at 947-7384. (Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN)

Police are not saying why two local men in a vehicle were harassing and threatening two women as they walked through downtown Bangor at about 11:30 p.m. Saturday, but both men were arrested for criminal threatening.

Daniel Roberts, 18, of Hampden apparently flashed a knife at some point while threatening the two women, which led to his being charged with felony Class C criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon, Bangor police Detective Sgt. Chip Hodges said Monday.

Cody Fairless, 19, of Brewer, who was driving the car used to drive past the women repeatedly, was charged with criminal threatening and operating with a suspended license. He also was picked up on an outstanding warrant.

If convicted of the felony, Roberts would face a penalty of up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000. Both Roberts and Fairless were taken to Penobscot County Jail and had their first appearance in 3rd District Court in Bangor on Monday, after which both were released.

Other passengers in the vehicle were not charged, Hodges said. (Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN)

Penobscot County Sheriff’s Department deputies are investigating a break-in early Monday at the Countryside Restaurant in Corinth.

The break-in was discovered early Monday morning when staff arrived to open the Main Street restaurant, according to Deputy Tom Burgess. He said the incident is believed to have occurred between 1:30 and 6:30 a.m.

Burgess said it appears one or more vandals entered the restaurant and made a mess in the kitchen and storage areas, emptying a fire extinguisher and unplugging equipment, including coolers.

“There was a lot of criminal mischief inside,” Burgess said.

Investigators do not believe burglary was the motive, he said. The only thing believed to be missing was candy.

Anyone with information on the break-in should call Burgess or Deputy James Kennedy at 947-4585. (Dawn Gagnon, BDN)

A Winterport couple shared a cruiser ride to Penobscot County Jail after a weekend traffic stop in Hampden.

Officer James Ryan of the Hampden Police Department was on patrol Saturday morning when he saw a vehicle with a taillight out, Sgt. Scott Webber said Monday.

When Ryan pulled the vehicle over, he learned that the driver, 25-year-old Mark Arden Sutherland II, lacked a valid license. Sutherland’s license was revoked because he had been deemed a habitual offender, Webber said. His driving violation was bumped up to a Class C felony, punishable by up to five years in jail, because he had been convicted of operating under the influence within the last 10 years.

During the traffic stop, Ryan also learned that a passenger, Amanda Bedard, 22, of the same address, was wanted on a theft warrant out of Waldo County.

Both were released on bail over the weekend, Webber said. He said that Bedard’s 1-year-old child, who was in the vehicle at the time of the arrest, was taken home by another passenger who had a valid driver’s license. (Dawn Gagnon, BDN)

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like