May 27, 2024
Archive

Yesterday …

(As reported in the Bangor Daily News)

10 years ago – Dec. 4, 1998

BUCKSPORT – Faced with a large community of poor or elderly residents who can’t afford dental care, the Bucksport Regional Health Center and the town are applying for grants to open a dental clinic for low-income residents from Bucksport and the surrounding communities.

The town sent its application for a $110,000 Community Development Block Grant to the state Office of Economic and Community Development. That grant would pay to build a 1,000-square-foot addition to the health center. It also would require a 25 percent match from the town to bring the total construction budget to $135,000.

.

BANGOR – Once Spruce Run waged its own lonely war against domestic violence. Now, as more and more people advocate for battered women, it must take on the mantle of collaborator.

“It’s an odd concept,” mused Francine Stark, community response coordinator. “Twenty-five years ago we couldn’t get people to talk about domestic violence. Now we have competition in the marketplace for people who advocate for battered women.”

Thanks to Spruce Run paving the way, law enforcement and health care agencies have plenty of opportunities to make use of programs and money to help abused women, she said.

25 years ago – Dec. 4, 1983

GLENBURN – Straws and ice cream sticks may not seem like the best construction materials for bridges, but fifth- and sixth-grade students at the Glenburn Elementary School learned how well those materials can hold up under stress.

As part of a class project and competition, according to teacher Victoria Levesque, the students tested the strength of model bridges they had built in the last two weeks. They were allowed to used only 50 straws, 40 ice cream sticks, glue and their imaginations to construct each bridge.

Sixth-grader Donald Terrill’s team bridge bore up under a weight of penny rolls and textbooks of more than 39.4 pounds to win the contest. Team members were Dwight Lingley, captain, Steve Howard, David Bouchey, Janette Quinn and Ron Curtis.

.

BANGOR – With the Merrill Trust Co. leading the way with a $200 donation, Santa’s Helpers contributed $694. These gifts raised the charity drive’s total well past the $1,000 plateau to $1,435.

But Merrill Trust did more than donate money. Through an employee contest, the bank donated more than 20 hand-outfitted dolls to the fund. The dolls will be distributed to children in need through the Bangor Salvation Army.

The doll contest was coordinated by Cindy Wilkerson, marketing assistant at the bank.

The finished dolls are highly individualized and depict people of various walks of life, including lumberjacks, skiers, brides, Indians and even a quilter. The bank purchased the dolls and gave them to interested employees to dress.

50 years ago – Dec. 4, 1958

BREWER – The two-act tragedy “The Diary of Anne Frank” was presented by the senior class at the new Brewer High School before an audience of 400.

All members of the cast, Stephen Judy, Daniel McKenney, Edward French, Edward Hamm, Roland Olmstead, Wyona Mann, Patricia Terrill, Shirley Blais, Helen Lakeman and James McInnis, gave excellent performances and had their parts letter-perfect, showing the result of training by Vincent Parady, dramatic coach.

The professional recordings and sound effects which accompanied the play were especially outstanding, as well as the scenery which was made by the cast and workers under the supervision of Parady.

.

DEDHAM – The Happy Half-Hour Club girls’ sewing class met at Dedham Consolidated School under the leadership of Mrs. Evelyn Hall.

Mrs. Dorothy Wilkinson taught the girls how to choose patterns to suit their personalities. The first-year girls made needle cases under the supervision of Mrs. Hall. There were 18 girls present.

.

ALTON – Twenty-one members of the Alton Homemakers 4-H Club met with their leader, Mrs. Eloise McLaughlin. It was announced that the club had received a check for $29.75 for articles exhibited at the Springfield Fair. Dianne Harris received the most awards for her club.

After the business session, Lillian Shirley led a class on canning, and both the boiling water and pressure cooker methods were discussed. The girls were shown different types of jars and covers.

The first-year sewing girls, led by Mrs. McLaughlin, were taught how to sew using basting and other hand-sewing techniques.

Second-year cooking girls, supervised by Lucille Harris, made whole wheat muffins. Third-year sewing girls, under the direction of Lynette Michaud, continued sewing on petticoats.

100 years ago – Dec. 4, 1908

BUCKSPORT – The schooner Hattie Dunn from South Amboy, with coal for the Devereux Coal Co., arrived in port.

Miss Fanny Gordon of Bangor was in town on her way to West Brooksville to take care of George Arey, who was hurt in Bangor in the tug Delta accident some weeks ago. Mr. Arey’s condition is such that it requires an experienced nurse to take care of his case.

.

BREWER – Bert Kellen of this city is building a 16-foot motor boat at his home on Holyoke Street. Mr. Kellen is the owner of the Josie K., a 12-foot boat which for its size was as smooth-going a little craft as any numbered among the mosquito fleet of the Penobscot. His new boat will be ready for use at the opening season of ’09.

.

DIXMONT – Miss Katherine Reed, after passing six weeks in town as seamstress and guest of Mrs. Janet Ferguson, went home to Southeast Harbor.

.

DIXMONT – Frank Harding has bought the house across the road from his father, Willis Harding, and has gone to keeping house.

.

BANGOR – Exercises commemorating the 75th anniversary of the organization of the Second Parish (Hammond Street) Congregational Church will take place next week.

Hammond Street Congregational Church was organized Dec. 5, 1833. The occasion of forming it was the inability of the people to obtain seats in the First church.

A committee of 10 reported in favor of organizing a new church. On Nov. 28, 1833, 73 First Church members, 26 males and 47 females, were dismissed to form the new church organization. The meeting house, built of brick, was dedicated on July 23, 1834.

Compiled by Ardeana Hamlin


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like