May 27, 2024

Longtime Rockport police chief mourned

ROCKPORT – A large gathering of friends, family members and colleagues turned out for the services for former Rockport Police Chief LeForest B. Doucette, who died Dec. 3 at age 79.

A Korean War veteran, where he had served with the U.S. Army Airborne, Doucette was buried Monday with military honors at Seaview Cemetery in Rockport after a service at Cornerstone Baptist Church in Camden, with Pastor Timothy Gillian officiating.

Staging was set up at Renys parking lot on Route 1 in Camden for an honor guard review at noon before the services.

Rockport Police Chief Mark Kelley said the turnout for the funeral represented a “wide variety of people.”

Doucette was a police officer for almost 40 years. According to Rockport Administrative Assistant Craig E. Cooley, Doucette served with the Camden Police Department from 1957 to 1964 and founded the Rockport Police Department on March 16, 1964. He served as police chief for 32 years, retiring in 1996.

Doucette built up the Rockport police from one full-time chief to three full-time patrolmen, a lieutenant, and 12 reserve officers.

He was a life member of the New England Police Chiefs, a member of the Maine Police Chiefs Association, a former member of the Rockport Fire Department, the National Rifle Association, Sportsman’s Alliance of Maine, the Owls Head Transportation Museum and the Maine Association of Retirees.

He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Faye, of Warren, a son, Robert Doucette of Union, two daughters, Delores Walburn and her husband, Virgil, of Richmond Hills, Ga., and Gayle O’Brian and her husband, Fred, of Rockport; and six grandchildren, according to Doucette’s obituary.

Memorial donations may be made to the Chief LeForest Doucette Scholarship Fund, c/o The First, P.O. Box 1137, Rockport 04856, to benefit students attending the police academy.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like