May 30, 2024

Bangor man arrested after running from police

BANGOR – A local man, who police have dealt with several times in the last couple of months, allegedly tried to run on Sunday when he was being questioned by police and crashed the stolen vehicle he was driving.

David Riley, 25, then jumped out of the car and took off on foot, but footprints in the snow led officers to a garage he broke into to hide.

Bangor police officers arrested Riley, of Bangor, around 1 a.m. Sunday and charged him with nine crimes.

Officer John Page first noticed Riley at around 12:40 a.m. Sunday driving a black Toyota that was pushing a blue Dodge Neon, driven by a female later identified as Riley’s girlfriend, up Garland Street.

When approached by Page, Riley gave a fake name before admitting he didn’t have a driver’s license. It was when the officer told Riley to exit the Toyota, that Riley took off, driving down Elm Street.

Riley apparently was unable to make the corner at the junction of Elm and Milford streets, and crashed the car into a tree. He then took off on foot.

A police dog was called in and police followed Riley’s tracks in the snow to a garage on nearby Essex Street. While tracking him, police found a knife in the snow by the car, and a cell phone and black leather jacket Riley was reportedly wearing when initially stopped by police.

Once inside the garage, police saw Riley hiding in the back seat of an SUV.

“With my weapon drawn and pointed, I ordered Riley to show me his hands and to open the door,” Page’s report states.

Riley complied and was placed into handcuffs by Officer Rod Angelo. He was then taken to Penobscot County Jail and was released on Monday, a jail official said on Tuesday.

During the investigation, it was discovered that the Toyota Riley was driving was stolen and spray painted black to cover the original blue color, and that it had plates and registration stickers from other vehicles. A loaded and cocked pellet-BB pistol was found inside the car along with Riley’s Maine ID, and other items, some that police believe may have been stolen.

Riley was charged with felony Class C eluding an officer, and unauthorized use of property, two counts of criminal trespass, and operating after revocation, all which are Class D crimes. He also was charged with driving to endanger, failure to provide accident information, attaching false plates, and for an outstanding warrant.

Police dealt with Riley in September when he apparently verbally threatened to kill a girlfriend when she was breaking up with him. For that crime, he was charged with terrorizing and sentenced to 60 days in jail, and another 60 days for violating his conditions of release.

In October, he was sentenced for four counts of operating a vehicle without license, 48 hours in jail for each count; two counts violating condition of release, $250, suspended; four counts theft by unauthorized taking or transfer, jail 48 hours each count; failing to appear after bailed, $250, suspended; failing to appear in court on criminal summons, $250, suspended; attaching false plates, jail 48 hours.

If convicted of the Class C offense of eluding an officer, Riley could face a penalty of up to five years in prison, and a fine of up to $5,000.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like