October 20, 2021
BANGOR DAILY NEWS (BANGOR, MAINE

Officials suspect faulty wiring in Greenbush fire> Fire chief won’t rule out `human element’ as cause of Tuesday’s trailer park blaze

GREENBUSH — A fire in Sweet Fern Trailer Park in Greenbush early Tuesday morning may have been caused by a faulty electrical cord.

The fire demolished a shed and damaged one corner of a mobile home belonging to Harold Murray and his family, who have been the focus of a neighborhood controversy.

Greenbush Fire Chief Edward Haverlock Sr. spent the day at the site with Ken Quirioncq, an investigator from the state Fire Marshal’s Office.

Haverlock said that the theory about the electrical cord was “an assumption” and had not been completed.

“We haven’t completely ruled out the human element,” he said.

The fire broke out about 1:30 or 2 a.m. in the shed, and spread to the area of the mobile home. One corner of the home smoldered into the morning, causing damage, Haverlock said.

He said he didn’t know whether the Murrays and their two children would be able to spend the night in the home.

Deputy Chief Carl Andrews of the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Department acknowledged earlier in the day Tuesday that the Fire Marshal’s Office had been asked to investigate.

If it turned out that the fire had been set, he said, the question would be whether there was a connection to recent trouble between Murray and some neighbors in the trailer park.

“It’s an ongoing affair. People have made allegations,” Andrews said. “Everybody seems to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. A lot of people are very upset. We had to send several deputies.”

Unrelated to the fire, Murray had made a complaint about people living in one of the other mobile homes, and that matter has been sent to the District Attorney’s Office, Andrews said.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like