September 27, 2020

Brunswick man charged in gun threat> Count of attempted murder result of Lily Bay incident

DOVER-FOXCROFT — A Brunswick man who allegedly threatened a Piscataquis County sheriff’s deputy with a handgun Saturday evening in Lily Bay has been charged with attempted murder.

Ronald Marsh, 63, who is a seasonal resident of Greenville, originally was charged with criminal threatening with a firearm and with OUI after the incident. He now faces additional charges of attempted murder and attempted aggravated assault.

The additional charges against Marsh came after the case was reviewed by R. Christopher Almy, Penobscot and Piscataquis county district attorney.

Marsh made his initial court appearance Monday in 13th District Court in Dover-Foxcroft. A probable cause hearing was scheduled for Feb. 23. His bail was set at $75,000 and a single surety or 10 percent cash.

The charges came from a incident in which Marsh’s vehicle was stopped shortly after 6 p.m. Jan. 3 by a part-time Piscataquis County sheriff’s deputy. Police had received a call from a motorist who reported that the driver of a 1992 Suzuki traveling on the Lily Bay Road appeared to be intoxicated.

Part-time Officer Grayln Smith responded to the call and stopped the Suzuki driven by Marsh. After Smith determined that Marsh was intoxicated, the man was arrested and his hands were handcuffed in front of his body, according to Investigator Sgt. Robert Young of the Piscataquis County Sheriff’s Department.

Before Marsh was taken to jail in Dover-Foxcroft, he asked to retrieve something from his vehicle, according to Young. Smith accompanied Marsh to the vehicle where Marsh got into the back seat and reached for something, Young said.

“When he came out he had a revolver with his finger on the trigger, and he turned and pointed it at Grayln, who was right next to him,” Young said in a previous interview.

Young said Smith grabbed the handgun and swung it away from Marsh, and it discharged. The pair struggled over control of the gun, according to Young.

Fred Annance, who came to the scene with his wrecker, heard the gunshot and went to Smith’s aid. The pair subdued Marsh until other officers arrived to assist, Young said.

Smith received minor cuts and burns when the gun discharged in his hand. He was treated for his injuries at the Charles A. Dean Memorial Hospital in Greenville.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like