July 25, 2021

11 treated, released in spill at Madison

MADISON — Eleven people were taken to a hospital Monday after a gasket blew at Shop ‘n Save, spewing refrigerator coolant into the supermarket air, authorities said.

The 11 shoppers and workers, suffering upset stomachs, dizziness and headaches, were treated at the Redington-Fairview General Hospital in Skowhegan and released, said Neal Richards, Madison’s assistant fire chief.

The gasket blew about 8:30 a.m. on a line that transports the chemical into the cooling system, he said.

The Department of Environmental Protection responded. The store was ventilated and was re-opened at around 12:30 p.m.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like