June 27, 2022

Barn destroyed after kerosene heater ignites

STOCKTON SPRINGS – Nobody was hurt when a Church Street barn was destroyed by fire Wednesday.

The Stockton Springs Fire Department said a kerosene space heater in the barn’s wood shop is believed to have overheated material nearby and ignited the blaze. The barn, which dated from the 1800s, was leveled. The barn, owned by George Ludwig, was separated from Ludwig’s home by a breezeway, according to Tom Moore, an officer in the Stockton Springs Fire Department.

Moore said the fire broke out shortly after 11 a.m. and spread quickly through the barn. But firefighters contained the fire to the barn, Moore said.

Fire departments from Searsport, North Searsport, Frankfort, Prospect, Belfast, Winterport and Bucksport provided aid.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

comments for this post are closed

You may also like